What is going on??
At its conception, Okoa Refuge was created to share the love of Jesus and rescue orphans. However, over the past few years it has become apparent that the need in Africa spreads so much wider. Therefore, Okoa has created a variety of programs in order to meet the needs of the people they work with.
- The Refuge Thrift Store: Located in St. Augustine, FL, The Refuge Thrift Store is one of Okoa’s most reliable sources of income. All donations are tax deductible and very appreciated!
- Water for Life: A project aimed at providing a way for people to have easy access to safe drinking water through the distribution of water filters
- Okoa Refuge Bible School: Using curriculum written by Harvest Time International, Okoa Refuge currently has six Bible Schools operating in western Uganda. The programs are two years long and designed to train both pastors and laypeople.
- Community Development Programs: Okoa’s pilot Community Dev. program is a piggery project. The goal of all community development is to give people the opportunity to bring themselves out of poverty through income generating projects and micro-loans.
- The Okoa Farm: Okoa Refuge currently owns a 17 acre farm in a village about 45 minutes from its headquarters. Currently, the main crop is maize, but future plans are to develop a coffee plantation. Okoa also raises cows, pigs, chickens and goats for their respective purposes (pigs for meat and the piggery project, chickens for eggs and cows for their milk).
- Okoa Mission House: Okoa is currently working on constructing a building for mission teams and visitors. Though the property is rented, the landlord is willing to speed up construction if Okoa can pay two years rent ahead of time.
If you have questions or comments about any of Okoa Refuge’s projects, please do not hesitate to contact us.